When you invest in a high-quality night guard, it’s crucial to clean and maintain it—it’s one of the most essential parts of owning and using night guards. Not only does cleaning help prolong a night guard’s life, but it also helps you maintain good hygiene, which is key considering the fact that you have to place it in your mouth every day—it shouldn’t become a home for bacteria and germs.
Here are some top maintenance tips to keep in mind:
- Wash your mouth guard gently with warm water after every use.
- Use a soft toothbrush (without toothpaste) to gently brush off the night guard during daily cleaning.
- Always store night guards when they’re completely dry. Wet night guards in closed cases may become a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Deep clean once a month using denture cleansers. Make sure anything you use to clean the mouthguards is non-abrasive.
- Keep the night guard case clean as well.
If you need more guidance on night guard cleaning and maintenance, check out these blogs that explore night guard maintenance in detail.