Protecting your pearly whites is no small task. With the myriad of challenges that our teeth face, from the rigors of everyday chewing to the risks of nighttime grinding, there's a growing importance in selecting the right dental guard. But with so many materials on the market, how do you know which is right for you?
Here, we discuss some dental guard materials, highlighting both their comfort and durability factors.
Why you might need a dental guard
Before diving into the materials, it's essential to understand the reasons behind needing a dental guard. The most common reasons include:
Bruxism (teeth grinding)
Many people unknowingly grind their teeth during their sleep, which can lead to severe dental issues if left unchecked.
Those with temporomandibular joint disorders might need a dental guard to alleviate pain and prevent further jaw damage.
Sports and physical activity
Dental guards are crucial for those engaged in contact sports to prevent accidental mouth injuries.
Exploring the materials
Soft night guards
- Comfort:Soft guards are typically made of a pliable, cushiony material. They mold easily to the teeth, offering immediate comfort, especially for those using guards for the first time.
- Durability:However, the soft nature of these guards means they might not be as durable as other materials. They're more suitable for mild conditions, like occasional teeth clenching, rather than severe grinding.
Hard night Guards
- Comfort:Hard guards, often crafted from acrylic, may initially feel bulkier and less comfortable than their soft counterparts.
- Durability:When it comes to durability, hard guards are top contenders. Even with regular use, they can last for years, making them an excellent choice for severe bruxism or TMJ disorders.
Dual laminate guards
- Comfort:Offering the best of both worlds, dual laminate guards have a soft inner layer for comfort and a harder external layer for protection.
- Durability:These guards are reasonably durable, especially for moderate to severe teeth grinders. The combination of materials ensures that they can withstand force while providing a cushioned feel.
Customization: the key to perfect fit and optimal protection
While material is crucial, it's equally important to have a guard that fits perfectly. Ill-fitting dental guards can cause discomfort, hinder speech, and even lead to further dental complications. This is where customization comes in:
While easily accessible and affordable, they might not provide a perfect fit. These one-size-fits-all options are often boil-and-bite, where you soften them in hot water and mold them to your teeth. They can be suitable for short-term use or as a temporary solution.
Provided by Clear Comfort Night Guards, these guards are molded to the exact specifications of your teeth. They ensure maximum comfort and optimal protection. Though pricier, they are the best long-term solution for most individuals.
Why customization matters
Everyone's dental anatomy and alignment are unique. What might fit comfortably in one person's mouth could be extremely uncomfortable for another.
Ill-fitting guards can hinder your ability to breathe, especially if worn during sleep. A custom-fitted guard ensures that the guard doesn't impede airflow.
Over-the-counter guards might cause speech difficulties, while a well-fitted dental guard should allow you to speak clearly.
Maintaining your dental guard
No matter the material or type of guard you choose, proper maintenance is essential. This will ensure both your oral health and the longevity of the guard:
Always clean your dental guard with a toothbrush and cold water after each use. Avoid hot water as it can deform certain materials. Some guards also come with specialized cleaning solutions.
Store your guard in its provided case in a cool, dry place. This protects it from contamination and accidental damage.
Your smile is one of your most significant assets, and taking steps to guard it should be a top priority. By understanding the available materials and ensuring proper customization, you can confidently select a dental guard that offers both comfort and durability. Remember, a little research and investment now can save you from potential dental issues and hefty bills in the future. So, equip yourself with the right dental guard and flash that protected radiant smile!
Buy Clear Comfort Night Guards’ dentist-recommended mouthguard
At Clear Comfort Night Guards, we create custom-made night guards for varying levels of bruxism at a fair price. Handcrafted by highly trained dental technicians, we offer a range of custom night guards to suit the varying needs of our customers.